Saturday, March 9, 2019

SPECIAL EDITION: BEWARE of this Colectivo Driver - Playa del Carmen, Mexico

I normally post a new entry on the first of every month.  But with a
recent experience, I wanted to make you aware of a another scam in Mexico.

On Friday, March 8, 2019; Monday, March 4, 2019; and a day in January 2019,  I encountered the same colectivo driver. He was mean, disrespectful, and angry that I, as a permanent resident, refused to pay the tourist (non-local) price. He said I should get off his colectivo and go back to my country. In spite of this, I gave him the correct fare of $20 pesos (not the $30 pesos the driver was demanding I pay), showed him my permanent resident card, said thank you, as I always do,  and exited the colectivo while ignoring his verbal assault.  

As a permanent resident card holder, I am entitled to all the rights and benefits as any Mexican citizen (except I cannot vote). This includes being charged the local fare on the colectivos. We do not have a car here and want to support the local colectivos, but the harassment is very upsetting.

In fact, the driver was so mean-spirited that a kind Mexican man confronted the driver and explained to him about the benefits and rights of a permanent resident card holder.  The driver did not care and continued to say that I was not Mexican and needed to pay the tourist price.  The gentleman continued to explain to the driver until the driver stopped arguing with him. I graciously thanked the gentleman for his support.

I reported the incidents to the colectivo manager located in Playa del Carmen at the corner of Avenida 20 and Calle 2.   In addition, I sent him a photo of the driver, the number on the colectivo (drivers have different colectivos each day), and a copy of my permanent resident card to aid in the resolution of this issue.

I am not sure that speaking with the manager will help, or if there will be any resolution to this long-standing issue, but I felt it was important for me to stand my ground and not be bullied and/or taken advantage of.

Rosa Parks would be proud!!!

Face of the thief



No comments:

Post a Comment