Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hospiten Medical Services – Playa del Carmen, México


I have used Hospiten Medical Services throughout the years here in Mexico but had neglected to write about my experience with them. So today, I am remedying that!

The physicians I have utilized at Hospiten in Playa del Carmen, Mexico are:

Dr. Oscar Hernandez Gea – Medicina Interna

Dr. Jose Humberto Giorge Herrada - Otorrinolaringologia

and,

Dr. Juan Carlos Cuervo Cruz – Ortopedia/Traumatología

I have seen these physicians for a simple diagnosis of a cold, a more serious diagnosis for allergies and had a surgical procedure.

I have always been pleased with the services received there and would certainly recommend Hospiten to anyone.  However, the only real problem I have identified is their lack of an onsite pharmacy.  So typically, after an appointment at Hospiten, and if I need to fill a prescription, I will walk to Sam’s Club (right next door) to get my prescription filled. 

But there is one recent experience I would like to share that I was very impressed with.  Prior to my surgical procedure, forms had to be completed, signed and payment made.  During my meeting with the Customer Care representative, she explained the entire process, answered any questions I had, and for any questions she could not answer, she immediately sent a secure text message to my physician to clarify.

Keep in mind that I am a permanent resident, so my charges are greatly reduced and in line with the local price.  As she spoke about my pending charges, she mentioned that if my bill ended up being less than originally quoted, I would be reimbursed.  I was floored to hear this!  I mean, when did you ever go to a doctor or hospital, and they said they would give you some money back?  I smiled and thanked her for her time, but to be honest, I did not believe her.  I thought it was all a marketing ploy to make you feel better about handing over your credit card (LOL).  

Anyway, I had the procedure done and went home to recover.  When I went back a couple of days later for my follow-up appointment, the Customer Care representative indicated that my bill was indeed less (about $2,200 pesos), and that I should expect my refund within a couple of days.  I was shocked!  And after a couple of days, just like she indicated, my credit card was credited.  It was like an extra present under the Christmas tree…a hospital giving money back.  That type of transparency really felt good to me and sealed the deal in terms of me continuing to use their medical services.  

Now I’m not going to go into details about what procedure I had done, but I will say this.  I was treated very well.  I had a lovely room, and the surgical staff took good care of me.  The experience overall was different than my experience in the United States.  But different does not mean good or bad, it just means different.  If I had to give it a word, I would say “less formal” here in Mexico.  I almost felt like a family member instead of a patient.  I mean, I have the WhatsApp number of one of my doctor’s.  So, I would say, less formal.  

I know I mentioned above that I highly recommend Hospiten, but it’s more than that.  After spending almost 9 years in Mexico and receiving more medical/dental services here than in the United States, I made the decision to only get my medical and dental services here in Mexico.  It’s a much more relaxed environment and atmosphere here.  But don’t take my word for it.  You must do whatever you feel the most comfortable with.  But I tell you what…if you have any doubts, just Google any of the doctors I mentioned above or on the photo with the names of the doctors there.  I think you will be impressed, and if nothing else, even if you don’t live here, but need medical services while on vacation, it will certainly make you feel safe going to a doctor you know everyone loves!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment