Saturday, August 29, 2015

What do I do all day?


When people find out that I live in the Western Caribbean most of the year as a retired expat, one of the first things they ask me is "what do you do all day?”  My answer is always "NOTHING.”  After-all, I'm retired, so relaxation and enjoyment is my priority.


But the word "nothing" seems to make people nervous.
Think about 
it.  Most of us are accustomed to being busy; with
family, work, civic/community events, and/or volunteer work.  And let's not forget all our connectedness with electronics and social media.  All the things we think make us feel useful, important, and not invisible.

But I digress.  If I'm being completely honest, the word nothing may be a little harsh. It's difficult to describe to someone that is not retired how relaxing and free one feels to not have the need to be busy.

Taking my time leisurely reading several online newspapers, articles, blogs and forums, brainstorming and preparing my next blog post for you, being a virtual volunteer for Volunteer Match, taking online Spanish lessons with Rosetta Stone, or online classes through Ed2Go or taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon.   The operative word being leisurely.

Even doing everyday things like responding to emails from family
and friends back in the United States, household chores, grocery shopping and preparing meals...is just more relaxed.  There's just no longer the sense of urgency of getting things done now.

And getting together with friends for lunch or just to hang out truly defines the meaning of socializing with friends.  For example, there are some friends that are only in the Western Caribbean three to four months out of the year.  We chat briefly almost every day, but once a week we get all dressed up (which means flip-flops instead of tennis shoes and maybe a maxi dress, for me), and go to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch.

http://artbyfrankie.ca/
Frankie, pictured on the left, is a world renowned artist.
See Art by Frankie
But what actually happens is that we meet around 1:30 p.m. and end up laughing, talking, and eating our way through the afternoon and evening until the place closes down!  Talk about taking a leisurely lunch; and this is just with one set of friends.

There are several other activities my friends and I engage in; Zumba classes at Latitude 21 restaurant, Opera night at the Omni Hotel and Resort, weekend brunch at Planks, ferry rides to Cozumel, manicures and pedicures at Kristine's, walking up and down 5th Avenue driving the vendors crazy by not buying anything, taking in a movie at Centro Maya Mall whenever the mood strikes me, going to the farmer's market every Wednesday and Saturday in Puerto Aventuras to buy fresh fruits and veggies (I love to juice), going to our favorite bakery for treats and people watching, window shopping at the numerous malls in Cancun (ok...maybe not all window shopping), and let's not forget chillin' on the beach and taking beautiful photos of the ocean and greenery.  

The entire point of this post is to let you know not to worry about whether or not you will have enough things to do if you elect to live/retire in the Western Caribbean.  There are plenty of things to keep you "busy" if that's what you want.  The beauty of retirement is that you are the one deciding how and when to use your time.

So the next time you see me standing on line at the grocery store check-out, waiting for the ferry to Cozumel, waving down a Colectivo, and looking like I don't have a care in the world, please know that I am taking my leisurely time doing absolutely nothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment