Friday, July 31, 2015

The Honeymooners on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

No. My husband and I are not honeymooners.  In fact, we have not been honeymooners for over 15 years; although we have taken our share of honeymoons.  
But the word "honeymooners" is what we are often referred to as we hold hands walking up and down the famous 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen. 


Mr. Hawaii
Sometimes they call my husband Mr. Hawaii, depending on which colorful shirt he is wearing that day. Or, the vendors will find something else to identify with (our colorful walking shoes, earrings, hats, etc.); anything in hopes of striking up a conversation to engage us, form a quick bond and get us to depart with the mighty peso. 

One time, a vendor stopped me and asked me to come into his shop.  I politely said “no thank-you.”  He became very angry and yelled “that he was trying to earn a living and that if I was not going to shop and spend my money, I needed to go back to my country.”  I quickly turned to him, smiled and said “this is my country,” and walked away.  I certainly can’t fault them for trying to make a living, but enough is enough.  

And if none of those techniques work, they will attempt to use the don’t-I-know-you trick to engage us. For example; "don't you remember me, I'm your waiter from the restaurant," or “I was the person that helped you with your bags last night." I guess what I'm trying to share with you is that the vendors on 5th can be really aggressive with their sales techniques and will say and/try anything to get you to stop long enough to shop and spend money.  

I can remember when we first visited Mexico, walking up and down 5th avenue was a physical and mental challenge. Weaving in and out as we walked, trying to minimize contact, and constantly saying "no thank-you” became quite the burden.  But it did not take me long to come up with ways to deal with and manage the vendors on 5th avenue.  

For starters, I've learned to walk up and down 5th without uttering a single word.  No matter what the vendors say, I just don't engage. No eye contact or anything.  I'm like John Travolta in the movie "Saturday Night Fever" at the end of the movie after he wins the dance contest. He just took to the streets and strutted.  


Or, if I'm in the mood to really have some fun and get even with the vendors, I'll wait for one of them to stop me and say “don’t you remember me from the restaurant?" And I'll stop and say “oh yes, I do remember you and you provided such horrible service I'm surprised you would want to speak to anyone about it.” 

Or, I'll say “yes I do remember you” and I will engage them in an entire conversation. I'll ask about their family members and make up all sorts of silly stories, nothing rude of course, but just little silly things, as if I truly know them.  At the end of the conversation (that I have completely taken over and controlled), I give the vendor a hearty handshake and tell them to “have a great day!” 

By the time I'm done, the vendor is usually standing there with their mouths wide open in shock. After the shocked look, they smile and look embarrassed.

You see, they know that they are lying when they approach me. And now they know, that I know about the lie and have played along with them and one upped them! 

I have so much fun doing this; my husband is just bewildered by the funny stories I create while I'm speaking with the vendors.  

But if I am going to be completely honest, whenever we have traveled to other countries, the vendors in those countries have done the same exact things.  

There are lots of wonderful stores, shops, restaurants, galleries, entertainment, and little boutiques on 5th avenue. And we encourage you to take your time browsing, shopping, eating and enjoying all the sights and sounds of Quintana Roo.  Just remember to figure out your comfort zone in dealing with vendors.  And if all else fails, don't get mad, get even!

Have fun…you honeymooner (smile)!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment