Sunday, November 1, 2020

OPENING UP A BANK ACCOUNT IN QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO - PART THREE


Now that I have had my bank account for 6 months, I wanted to follow-up with you and share my experiences. 

My account is convenient with respect to paying my monthly Homeowner’s Association (HOA) fee online.  Prior to opening my account, I would go directly to the bank and deposit my fee into our condominium bank account. I would deposit a few months’ worth at a time to avoid having to go to the bank every month.  I have also enjoyed the convenience of paying my utility bills online.  Again, prior to opening my account, I would pay a few months’ worth at a time and have a credit.  This avoided having to take a trip into Playa del Carmen every month to pay bills.  Being able to handle these transactions online has been incredibly advantageous.


However, there have been some challenges that I want to share.  At the time of setting up my account (which you read about in Part Two), I had to set-up a PIN.  I did not test the PIN at that time and made the foolish mistake of thinking it had been set-up correctly (that was in May/June).  I recently decided to experience paying for my groceries at Chedraui (in October) by using my bank card.  Low and behold, my PIN did not work. 

I immediately contacted the bank (while standing at the cashier and holding up the line…don’t you hate those people?) and the customer service representative informed me that my PIN had indeed not be set-up and that I would need to go directly to the bank and create a new PIN.  I inquired if I could change my PIN online, but the answer was NO.  So, I apologized to the cashier and the customers waiting (for holding up the line), paid for my groceries with pesos and left.  

On the way out of the Chedraui Multi-Plaza, I decided I would withdraw some pesos from the new CI Banco ATM.  Again, the card was rejected.  This time, I did not call the bank, but instead followed-up with Paco by WhatsApp (mentioned in Part One and Part Two) to determine if I needed to speak with someone in particular at the bank, or if could anyone help me.  I further explained that I was not happy with my experience thus far and may even be considering changing banks.  He explained that anyone could help me, provided the hours of operation for the bank, and said he understood if I decided to change banks.  


After calming down from two back-to-back negative experiences with my card and waiting a few days, I ventured into Intercam Bank in Playa del Carmen.  I spoke with Lupita (mentioned in Part Two) and explained what had happened.  She immediately contacted Intercam customer service and determined that my PIN had not been set-up properly the first time. They rekeyed my PIN twice (just to make sure) and that was it.  I inquired into whether I could start using the card immediately and she said yes.  I went straight to the Intercam ATM, inserted my card, and confirmed that it worked by withdrawing a few pesos. The next day, I went back to Chedraui and purchased a few items so that I could see if there were any problems.  There were not. 

The next big challenge I want to share is my experience shopping on Mercado Libre. I mentioned this online store in Parts One and Two and had no problem using my card the first time I ordered something from them.  But something had changed.  Over the last several weeks, whenever I placed an order on their website, my card and order was declined.  And each time I called the customer service desk at Intercam Bank, they told me there was no problem with my card, and to try the transaction again while I was on the phone with them.  I did, and it worked.  The last time I attempted to order from Mercado Libre, the card and order was declined again, but this time I wanted some real answers. I called the customer service line and explained that I just did not understand why I was having to call them each time I wanted to order something to have my purchase approved.  They explained that some retail websites have problems with thefts and hacking, and that Mercado Libre was one of them.  They further explained that moving forward, I would need to contact them every time I needed approval and that this procedure was for my own safety and security.  I understood, but was not happy with this procedure, and shared that with the customer service representative.  He apologized for my inconvenience and asked me to feel free to continue to shop at Mercado Libre, but I would need to call in for approval each time. So now when I order, I make sure that I need several items so that I only need to make one call for approval.  

But let me take a quick minute to explain the process.  Once I go to check out and put in my card number and hit the pay button, this is when things go downhill.  So, while I am staring at my screen and swearing under my breath, I call the Intercam customer service number, tell them that my card has been declined for Mercado Libre, tell them the amount of my order and ask them to approve it.  The process is quick, but I personally feel it is very intrusive and an unnecessary step.  After all, I am trying to get things done!

In summary, different people have different experiences opening and managing a bank account here in Mexico.  I have shared my experiences and encourage you to think through the process of whether you want or need an account in Mexico.  


No comments:

Post a Comment