Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Centro Cultural - Cultural Center in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico



KNUCKLEHEAD.  That’s the best word to describe why it has taken me over four years to attend an event at the Puerto Aventuras (PA) Cultural Center. 






The PA Cultural Center is a lovely, outdoor amphitheater, that was built in 1993, complete with enough seating for 300 people and ample restroom facilities.  In fact, the space reminds me of the archaeological masterpiece of the old Colosseum in Rome, with the circular seating design.

The community hosts one or two events there per month, which are well attended by residents and visitors alike.

So you may be asking yourself “why has it taken me more than four years to attend an event there?”.  Let me be perfectly honest.  I have no good answers for you, only some lame excuses:

Excuse #1: The shows start too late at night.
Truth: The shows start at 7:30 p.m. and end between 8:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Excuse #2: The PA Cultural Center is too far away.
Truth: It’s a two-minute walk from my condo.

Excuse #3:  But the mosquitoes will eat me alive.
Truth: The Cultural Center is sprayed before the event, PLUS, I have my own repellent wipes that I use every day.

Excuse #4: I’ll have to take another shower to wash off the repellent.
Truth: It takes five minutes to take a quick shower.

Excuse #5: Six days a week I have an appointment at o-dark-thirty and have to get up early.
Truth: Many of the events are held on Saturday evenings, and I don’t have to get up early on Sunday.

Excuse #6: It costs too much to attend.
Truth: Tickets are approximately $120 pesos to $200 pesos 
(roughly $6 to $10 USD, depending on exchange rate).

Excuse #7: It will be chilly in the evenings, so I’ll be too cold.
Truth: I take a light sweater or jacket with me whenever I go out in the evenings.

So now you know some of the lame excuses I had been telling myself.  But recently, I had some friends from the United States come to visit me in Puerto Aventuras.  Although they stayed at the Omni Hotel and Beach Resort, they very much wanted to get a feel for the community.

As we planned their itinerary, I mentioned that a Michael Jackson show would be at the PA Cultural Center during their visit.  Well, talk about excited…they were so excited that they made purchasing tickets for the show their first order of business upon arrival to PA, even before unpacking!

The night of the event, we arrived early and strategically identified the best seats (actually, all the seats are perfect).  The show was fantastic with the performer and back-up dancers all moving, grooving, and singing Michael Jackson songs.  The night was quite the success, and we all had a magnificent time.  In addition, I looked like a shero for taking my guest to a community event!

So, I learned an invaluable lesson that night.  It’s ok to step outside your comfort zone and try new things.  You may even enjoy yourself.  

Just don’t be a knucklehead. 


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT
THE CULTURAL CENTER

You can purchase your tickets in advance at the Colonos office Monday thru Friday from:  9 a.m. to 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Or, at the Cultural Center the evening of the event.


It’s entertainment for the entire family to enjoy.

Feel free to bring your own food and beverages, if you like.

Bring concert chairs, pillows, cushions or your Tommy Bahamas beach chairs.


See photos and short video below of
Michael Jackson Performance

























No comments:

Post a Comment