Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Caribbean Cornucopia of Fruits and Vegetables


I have a confession to make.  When we decided to move to Mexico, I was a little worried about finding all the different fresh fruits and vegetables I was accustomed to eating as a person on a "plant-based" diet.



Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't really the fruit I was worried about, it was the vegetables that bothered me.  I have traveled to the Caribbean enough to know that my favorite fruits were there in abundance; pineapples, mango, pears, star fruit, apples, bananas, melons, cantaloupes, dragon fruit, kiwi, strawberries, papaya...and this is just to name a few.  But fresh vegetables, especially green, leafy vegetables like Kale, Collard Greens, Spinach or Bok Choy, I just had not noticed them in the markets.  So once our move was complete, it was time to really explore my vegetable options. 

I looked at all the main grocery stores in Playa del Carmen (PDC); Chedraui, Mega, Walmart, Soriana, and Sam's Club.  They each provide an array of fresh fruits and vegetables.  Some of the stores seem to have a wider and fresher selection than others.  My experience has been that Soriana in PDC and Chedraui in Puerto Aventuras (PA) has the best selections.  In addition, there is also a very popular local fruit and vegetable market called DAC located on 30th Avenue between Constituyentes and Calle 20.  They have a large and excellent assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables along with other food items such as, dry beans, soy milk, meat, cheese, eggs, dry goods, fresh flowers, baskets, etc. Whenever I am in that area, I stop to do a little shopping.  It's absolutely my favorite place to buy fresh fruits and vegetables! SEE VIDEO.

Although I was not able to find fresh Kale or Collard Greens, I did not go lacking in the fresh vegetable department.

Learning about other fruits and vegetables in another county can be a positive culinary experience.  It's an opportunity to try different foods and recipes, broaden our knowledge of the local culture through food, and share a meal with your neighbors.

Enjoy! 
And remember to look at all the wonderful photos below with pricing.  All photos taken while I was shopping in Soriana in PDC.






























2 comments:

  1. DAC has been having fresh kale for the past couple of months! We love it so were delighted to find it here. in PDC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Emily. The next time I'm in that part of town, I'll certainly stop in and check it out.

    ReplyDelete